It’s that time of year again when winter skin will need extra care.
The fall has greeted us with brisk winds and a bounty of color, and winter is not too far behind. These two seasons bring cheer and celebrations into our lives, but they also quietly do a number on our skin. We’ve all been there – chapped lips, dry hands, rough and blotchy skin, all thanks to the climate conditions we experience. It’s known that fall, and especially winter weather are hard on skin. Not only do we face cold, dry, and windy conditions outside, but we also face arid and dry conditions inside as well that lead to dry winter skin.
Multiple factors come together during these months which contribute to dry and damaged skin. But all is not lost when it comes to your skin’s health! A winter skin care routine can help and is vital. Establishing one will ensure that your skin remains healthy and glowing until the spring thaw. But there’s more good news! Creating a winter skin care routine isn’t all that difficult and we’re here to help. We’ve put together a handy post about winter skin care so you can create a routine that’s right for you:
The Importance of a Winter Skin Care Routine
If you live in a colder climate, you might already be familiar with how your skin reacts to the elements. You most likely suffer from dry, chapped, and potentially cracked skin during fall and winter. After all, the colder temperatures tend to take moisture away from our skin, leaving it susceptible to harsh winds.
Going into the colder seasons, you’ll want to alter your skin care routine, which should reflect the changing climate. With a few adjustments, a little bit of time and extra attention, your skin will reward you with glowing health during the darker months.
Winter Skin Care Tips
Creating a winter skin care routine might be easier said than done. That is why we have put together a short list of expert skin care tips. By following these pointers, you’ll be sure to avoid dry, chapped skin:
· Exfoliate: Exfoliating is extremely important, especially during the winter. The process sloughs off the dead, dry skin cells, which end up blocking the oxygen your living skin needs to thrive. Doing this during the winter months will leave your skin feeling rejuvenated and ready to absorb a moisturizer. Be careful not to scrub too hard, which damages skin; exfoliating should be a gentle process. We recommend using a washcloth or your hands, with warm water for best results. (It should be noted that exfoliating is not for everyone. Start slow, be very gentle, and see how your skin reacts before you make this part of your skin care routine.)
· Watch your diet: Skin is the body’s largest organ! Therefore, what we put into our bodies directly affects the health of our skin. Since your skin is already at a disadvantage during the winter, it’s important to take other methods into account. Eating foods rich in antioxidants, healthy fat, and plenty of fruits and vegetables will help to ensure your skin is prepared to fight the elements!
· Use warm water: Warm water is the way to go when washing your face or skin. There is no denying that hot water feels great (especially during the colder months), but it really isn’t the best for skin. Hot water dries out your skin and strips natural oils from it. On the other hand, using cold water can break your skin’s capillaries. Sticking with warm water is the gentlest option for your skin when washing your face.
Favorite Winter Skin Care Products
The products you use on your face and body can make a huge difference. Don’t waste your time on cheap products that promise the world (they don’t work!). Instead, opt for products that are natural, safe to use, and gentle on your skin. We’ve selected a few winter skin care products that we feel are particularly helpful:
· Exfoliating Facial Scrub: This is perhaps the very best for your winter skin. Our exfoliating scrub is packed with Jojoba Florabeads, which are gentle on your skin. It also feels like a mini massage and is low foaming! A touch of mink oil provides no oily moisture while leaving your skin feeling healthy. For best results, after you exfoliate apply mink oil or Night Magic Rejuvenating Face Cream. Your skin will be glowing after every use.
· Aloe Vera Cleansing Bar: Treat your skin to the goodness of aloe vera. The benefit of using aloe is that it helps to heal micro-abrasions on your skin. These micro abrasions increase during the winter months. Added to this bar is mink oil, which provides the moisture your skin needs. This cleansing bar is great for everyone, but if you have oily or acne-prone skin, this is the perfect product for you.
· Advanced Moisturizing Lotion: Moisturizing is a must during the winter months. This product not only moisturizes, but it helps protect against UVA and UVB rays. We forget that even though the sun’s not shining, harmful rays are still hitting our skin. A moisturizer with sunscreen is critical to use year-round, not just during the warmer months. If you’re taking a ski vacation, be sure to pack this in your bag! There is nothing worse than burnt, wind-chapped skin on the slopes.